View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

It's too much information... Jesus...
It would lead to dozen possible combinations. I want to know about the average carebon fiber made in small garages/home, following rightfully the manufacturer specifications, without autoclave or ovens.

The worse carbon fiber fabric sheet, if well used, is at least 3 or 4 times stronger than steel.

About the weigh be the right reference to comparison with steel, in this video about failure of carbon fiber, the weight it's not so different, near aluminiun weight and more more than 50% the weight of steel.
CF: 1.15
Aluminium: 1.45
Steel: 2.16

If you work or had worked with carbon fiber, I apologyse if my comments sounded rude ar unkind. Maybe it's just some ignorance of mine about some technical aspect somewhere.

Maybe the best would be the composite used in Aptera car, made of silica, strong to resist hammer impact, aborbing energy by some few deforming (reversible if not much). But we don't know the price for such materail and labor.

https://youtu.be/nvk63bmVpck?t=41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Ok but I need several parameters defined: weight / mass of finished product, resistance to how much force applied where and how, binder materials and their specs, resins specs for filling the matrix, cure process, Attach points, etc. If it is a simple pull test then the comparison can be done easy peesey. How strong is 10 mill steel 1" wide? (I already know this.

Btw when you say home made, what do you really mean?