View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Perhaps its leaking by? Wouldn't take too much flow to cool that whole engine I'd imagine.

Nice looking bike btw.
You hit the nail right on the head! That is exactly what it was doing. The O-ring I pointed out is just to keep coolant from leaking out, so it is unrelated to this problem. You can shake the thermostat housing and hear the thermostat rattling around in there. I did a flow test by pouring water in one side and seeing how fast it would flow out the other side. Well, it flowed a whole lot more water than what the little bypass hole in the thermostat should be able to flow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	23586

I took it apart and put a spring in there to put pressure on the thermostat so it wouldn't move. Put it back together and voila! No more rattle, and it passed the flow test too. So that's what the problem was. I really do not want to rely on the spring though, it could come loose at any time and destroy the water pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	23585

While I had it apart, I put it in some hot water to test opening temps. It appeared to open at 172F, and was fully open at 185F.

New thermostat is on its way, REALLY HOPING that it won't rattle like this one does. Considering the slapped together nature of this bike in other areas, it is certainly possible the PO just threw a thermostat that "fit" in there.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...