View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Nosecone and side skirts. Then Trailer Tail.

See Fed Ex Custom Critical Expediter trucks.

That’s a huge box.

I’ll assume you have a commercial driver license. And might know below already:

I get the idea this isn’t going to cover enough miles to matter. Mechanical and electrical issues mean more. As in, steering slop. Correct that problem. Kingpins, etc. Get an excellent grease gun and Service Manual. Hit all points needing lube yourself. Weekly. Enough, and no more.

Change shock absorbers first thing to HD gas charged. It’ll track better. Gabriel. Antiroll bar and track bar bushings should be R&R’d.

Same for brakes. That’s the big problem. Mech is easy. Its the air leaks that arexworth chasing. A big selling point. You NEED to pass LEO-administered roadside brake test like it was brand-new.

And thrust-angle alignment. Should be able to hold lane by itself for more than five seconds at highway speed.

Takes 1.5-2.0 hours to fully warm up. That’s at steady state on highway. Won’t happen around town much (tires). Big trucks aren’t one size fits all. You may have wrong TYPE of tires on truck. Wide base singles bad idea. Find tire dealer and stick with him. It’s a lot of knowledge wasted otherwise.

Aluminum wheels only good for looks. (I’d do it; and I’d do a paint or wrap job on truck).

Centramatic Balancers for Steer Axle. I’d do rear also.

If you do 4-mpg around town consider it good. Same for 6 on highway.

Your savings was in purchase price. Now, it’s in extending useful life.

What motor? 3208 Cat?

FE isn’t a real concern past engine or trans mechanical condition ( need blowby checked and injector contribution test). Change out fuel filters and run Howes Meaner Power Cleaner in a double dose till tanks well below one-half. Get out on highway and cruise up to Allentown to one of the truckstops. 55-mph is fine. Repeat your pretrip while there. Return to usual truckstop and re-fill to auto shutoff. That’ll be your baseline best mpg.

Records matter. Not tank by tank. The game is percentage change.

Keep fuel tanks filled. Last stop of day is that job.

Fix the drivers seat. Or replace. No excuses. Fix mirrors so that you aren’t ever moving body or shoulders to see something while in forward motion. Get a helper. “Perfect” is almost good enough. You need to add upper convex to check overhead clearances.

Rain-X after you clean glass exterior with Windex and XXXX-steel wool.

ALL exterior lamps MUST be changed to LED fixtures. Grote catalog. There are some chrome shop LED headlamps that will be good enough.

LED reverse lights on DOT bumper.

Bring conspicuity tape to brand new, and to current state standard.

Don’t ever turn the key you don’t already have a map in hand of the day’s route. Clearances and road restrictions around that city aren’t any fun. Shortest route isn’t winner.

Get tollroad pass. Average mpg is dependent on average mph. No stops and no idling. No lane changes. Zero idling. Ever.

And be sure you have proper commercial liability insurance unless you can PROVE truck contents are your personal possessions.

That truck is a rolling red flag to DOT. Cut him off at the pass.

(I’d paint the frame with rattle cans. Axle, etc, also. Make it look good. Have Blue Beacon or other wash truck top, bottom and engine bay first).

Again, your fuel costs are pretty much irrelevant. The truck “economy” is its overall condition. What you have looks very nice!!

Make it steer & stop. Make it look great. Light it up. Look like you know what you’re doing. No tee-shirts. Shirt with collar, leather belt and preferably boots.

For good reason, everyone hates NJ truck drivers. I’d sure change that.

Fire extinguisher new, tire thumper and Armor All interior. Needs to look great when LEO opens Driver door to talk to you).

Papers on clipboard, preferably in drivers door pocket. No warrant is needed for commercial service and you are NOT innocent till found guilty.

You’re driving the classic terrorists vehicle of choice: an old box truck. Get rid of “old”. Look like a man, not a friggin kid. Have all in order. Keep it that way. Be ready to sell at a moments notice (even if that means washing it every time you use it).

The world is always looking at and recording your whereabouts.

Last edited by slowmover; 02-25-2018 at 09:25 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Fingie (03-03-2018), interestingstuff (04-03-2018)