View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Been there, done that. The difference is that the tire was visibly flat(other side of car, so I didn't see it), and I ignored several warnings before I thought I felt the car rolling differently and pulled over to change it to the spare. By that time it was too late, I had already killed it. For the first few miles of that trip, the car(dad's G35x) felt like it rolled the same, despite having one flat tire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I've never lost a sidewall! (Touch wood.)

Lots of screws/nails through the treads though. I've used up a whole pack of those puncture patch gummy worms.
I hate those gummy plugs! Use the mushroom plugs or take it to a shop that will dismount the tire and patch+plug from the inside. The gummy plugs have a tendency to not do their ONE JOB and seal the tire. When I worked at Goodyear I had plenty of people come in one day after having their tire plugged with a gummy plug. They leak! Plus they are no fun at all to remove and patch properly. I would recommend taking that tire to a shop and making sure that the tire didn't start deteriorating internally and producing dust on the inside of the tire. You MAY(?) be able to look inside the tire through the valve stem with the valve core removed, but have never tried that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I recommend everyone I know NOT to buy run-flat tires. If you do get a nail, how are you going to know so you can make effective use of those 50 miles of running with a puncture? You won't know, and you'll be stranded just the same.
Yep, it always surprises me when a car with run flats comes in with a flat tire that has no visible deformation, and I go and take the valve core out and no air comes out!

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...