View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Some more questions here...

Other than the lower engine cover that comes standard on the 7th gen Civic Hybrids here) what other aero mods were done to the Civic Hybrid that can be incorporated into my Civic EX? From what I've read, the 7th gen Civic has a drag coefficient of 0.36 but the same gen hybrid has 0.28. Seems like a lot of possible gain here.
I was considering posting a new thread analyzing the differences between car models/generations. I have pictures for an 8th gen civic vs civic hybrid, but not 7th gen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 Honda Civic FRONT.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	23638

The differences visible in the hybrid here are the smooth wheels and the trunk lid spoiler.

Name:	2006 Honda Civic Hybrid FRONT.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	23639

Name:	2006 Honda Civic UNDER.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	23640

Both cars seem to have rear wheel spats, so no improvement there.

Name:	2007 Honda Civic Hybrid UNDER.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	23641

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
And also, does anyone know of a tool somewhere to calculate the minimum speed of each gear? My Civic seems to shift into final overdrive between 40 and 42, but my tach is broken so I can't verify (one of those things I need to fix when I have time). Is there a way to calculate minimum cruising speed for each gear? Maybe using gear ratios or something? Or is it purely a vehicle by vehicle basis?
In your auto, minimum speed is decided by the computer, there is nothing to calculate. You could find out which speeds each gears work for by driving up to a speed where it locks the TQ in 4th, then just let off the gas and listen/feel for each downshift if you can. That being said, you can see what RPM you are at for the minimum speeds of each gear by using the engine rpm calculator I posted above and plugging in the other gear ratios, assuming your TQ doesn't just drop the engine to idle when you let off the gas...

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...