View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #317 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
repairs before mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
4-5 coats of plasti-dip sound like a lot but it really does help with adhesion and it flaking off... I’ve had a few items dipped and never any real issues... when applied thick enough it holds on well enough...
I got the clear plastidip. Looking forward to this attempt. Did some white lettering paint on the tires.

My driverside door has been deteriorating for years: tint installer cracked indoor panel, I cracked indoor panel, the window crank operation was deteriorating, the arm rest cloth was faded unevenly, and then a couple months ago the outside door lever broke (again).

All those repairs finished today.

The best repair is the crank. To get it to roll up smoothly, I made a "washer" using old bike innertube sections and a little silicone lube spray into the crank shaft bearing housing. IT WORKS LIKE NEW NOW! I am shocked and happy.

EDIT: just to show off clean door card. There were two very visible crushed and cracked sections that showed though the soft-touch surface badly. I fiberglassed the back to get it smooth again. The arm rest was blotchy & faded, exterior door latch was broken, and the window crank was cranky. Fixed and cleaned.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180318_123500.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	23705  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 03-18-2018 at 03:52 PM..