View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Engine oil in coolant

Asking for pro-tips and pointers...

"Black and Green" has engine oil in its coolant reserve tank. It has been a minor phenomenon for a loooong time, but in the last year it seems to have become more significant. So, I am planning to replace my head gasket during my daughter's spring break.

This will be the first time I will ever have done this job.

I understand that when the head gasket fails, generally oil escapes into the coolant and not the other way around because the oil is under higher pressure.

I have not noticed white smoke from the tailpipe, indicating coolant in the combustion mix, but I also have not seriously checked (and can't right now).

How likely is it that I also have coolant in the engine? How would that happen and how might I check? And how should I check for damage when I get into the head?

Thx

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.