View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,552 Posts
As much as I'd love to disagree with Cowmeat, he's right on most points.

The Insight is noisy, has small cup holders, the seats are stiff (I definitely want new seats), A/C saps significant power from the tiny engine, and if you want cruise control you'll have to install it yourself - I did. The MPG bug is real, but it has faded with time for me. You're also not going to maintain lean burn on level ground at more than maybe 65-70mph, but you can still expect 70mpg+ at those speeds in a properly maintained car.

Expect to need a grid charger, the hybrid battery is the weak point in these cars but a grid charger can limp along a weak battery for a very long time. Most will have a weak one at 17-18 years old, and a replacement is $1000-2000.

The only bit I disagree on is that I still love owning and driving my car.

With stiffer rear springs it's a joy to drive. Some perks include an aluminum chassis, which means you get to laugh at road salt, and the lack of a timing belt. Low-end torque is pretty great if your hybrid system is functioning properly, and as your battery gets weak and eventually dies, you won't get stranded - it drives reliably (if without much power) as just a conventional gasoline car.

BTW you really should be getting more than 30mpg at 75 in your VX. Speed murders economy on any vehicle, but I'd expect 10-15 more than that.