View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
TacoDog
EcoModding Lurker

Ruby - '07 Toyota Tacoma Base
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
I Could Use All the Help I Can Get

Hey Everybody,
I feel like I'm finally home. I've found a bunch of neat folks into saving gas, and getting the most out of their vehicles. My friends think that I am nuts, with the records I keep, and the way I preach about saving fuel, and ecodriving. For those of you that might remember the time, I began driving around the time of the first oil embargo, and have been driving accordingly ever since. Man...I am no spring chicken.
I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma, with which I am already beating the odds. My mods to date are: synthetic oil, tonneau cover, tires to 39 psi, partial grill block(top portion), and ScanGaugeII. I have a set of smoothie hub caps due Friday 8/29. I have been researching lowering kits, one which takes 3" off the front, and 4" off the back...someday! My overarching goal is 40 mpg.
My question, for right now is: If I do a partial grill block, what is the best way to vent the air that I let in? I have looked on the underside of the hood(bonnet), and it seems that there is a structure there that seems as though it were meant for a form of ventillation. I am thinking that this might be a good place for a rearward facing scoop. The resulting vent holes would be just aft the radiator. Are there any rules for hole size, other than Area in =Area out? Tricks?
Are there better gains to be had?
I have 13 Airtabs. What would be the ideal placement on a Tacoma? I have my doubts on a vehicle of the size and shape. It seems they might work well on a box truck, or semi-trailer. I tried them at the rear end of the cab with no effect. I now know why. My next try is just above the tailgate. Does anybody have any real world results,data?
Is there anybody out there from Greenville/Greer SC?
I look forward to hearing from y'all.
Best Regards,
TacoDog (Doug)