View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
A big feature like a trunk-mounted spoiler may build up pressure ahead of itself to prevent separation on a back window. However, the small lips that sharpen trailing edges are intended to gather the existing boundary layer and trip it into the trailing vortex in an organized fashion, so that there are fewer sub-eddies. It is better to have one or two large, stable circulation patterns in a "trapped vortex" than just chaotic flow.
so adding a small ridge just ahead of the trailing edge could be beneficial for FE...

what i don't get is why GM seems to be strugling wich the mucle car look and it's aerodynamics.

in europe trough opel GM has produced some examplary aerodynamic vehicles with cd's between 0.29 and 0.26, from the 80's untill now and with the upcomming opel insignia with a Cd of 0.27 they show they still got it.
and lets not forget the eco speedster... not suitable for the road but certainly a door aero exercice and that car's nose did look like the volt a bit.

there's people working at GM that can totally put together a working practical car with good even sporty looks and top of the line aerodynamics.
just let them do their job and put in an electric engine and slap on whatever badge they want... now remind me again but didn't GM already had some sort of electric engine somewhere they could put in....

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
The Following User Says Thank You to lunarhighway For This Useful Post:
rednic79 (04-12-2013)