View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
The pressure won't bother the wheels. They wouldn't be able to put up with the stresses a car puts on them if mere low(ish) air pressure was a hazard.

Are you trying to go down a size in width for reduced rolling resistance or what? If so, you might want to consider the width of the actual grip on the tire. I've had tires in the same size with considerable difference in the contact patch width, one being "sporty" that had grip right to the outer edge of the tire, and a typical all season that curved in as it reached the tread...there was probably 1" total difference in the width of what touched the road.
75 PSI is a lot of pressure.

I would be trying to get a thinner and taller(or same height) tire for better aero. I would think the high load capacity and max pressure of the van tires COULD allow for low RR. Already have Ecopia EP422+es, which are pretty serious low RR tires already. I don't know about the relationship between tire size and contact patch width vs rolling resistance, but am doubtful it is as simple as less contact width automagically = less RR. Compare the Michelin defender to the Michelin energy saver. The defender may be the one with less contact patch, yet the energy saver is the lower RR tire. The Kelly edge A/S has a VERY small contact patch, and is EXTREMELY light. Those edges are the lightest tires I have ever felt, but I can't seem to find specs online. I don't think the edge is considered a low RR tire though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez77 View Post
The van tyres will be much heavier than car tyres which will cancel out any gains from aero I'd think. They also are unlikely to have any of the high tech low rolling features car tyres have these days
The van tires I saw in that size were about 26 pounds, my current tires are either 19 or 20 pounds, bridgestone lists multiple weights for some tires... Combine that with the lightweight mazda rims and the new tire combo would be just a pound or two heavier. Yes, I doubt the van tires are built for low RR, but due to their design they may be low RR anyways.

Dunno. That's why i'm asking! Seems like something people here would want to try! I am not due for new tires any time soon, so its not going to be me.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 04-19-2018 at 02:19 PM..