View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #75 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
That's just speaking truth to Murricans. If they're running a full size pickup or SUV, even driving technique can't save them (present company excepted, Slowmover). Hell, even with a manual and hypermiling the hell out of it (and being forced to avoid the big highway for other reasons) I was lucky to average 19 mpg in my wife's XTerra. More than 10% over EPA, but not numbers anyone other than a dedicated hypermiler would see.

Then he ends with a little tough love:
No need to except me. I no longer have business use for the truck, it’s just getting older more slowly as I’m rarely home the past few years. True, the back is loaded with 1,100+ lbs of gear related to job and trailer renovation. And it’s been a steady, dependable workhorse. Hook up a 20,000-lb trailer, or run the highway solo at 24-mpg. A great range of ability.

But my approach would work pretty well for those others: identify those normal errands and combine them into one long trip. Cut the miles, and then feather-foot the rest.

The savings is really about fewer miles, thus fewer gallons. The change to the average mpg may not be great. It’s the total annual fuel bill, in this approach.

I’ve tried to get other RV owners interested. After all, it’s being willing to make a few new habits, not a radical set of changes. Underwrite vacation travel. (Nope. No takers).

What they really don’t look at is the increase in maintenance and repairs. I’m sure there’s a sensible cutoff somewhere (a, don’t buy below this level of quality kind of marker), but why pay so much more to receive less?

It’s not just fuel.

Decent people being forced out of the cities circa 1970 drove suburban sprawl to levels unimaginable earlier. From then on, one was tied to cars in ways no city dweller ever expects. Commutes are suburb to suburb, etc. Then the destructive power of forcing wives into the workforce. Which barely increases the family net income. But brings with it a host of other problems subsidized fuel is supposed to help ameliorate.

Last edited by slowmover; 04-21-2018 at 07:08 AM..