View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #55 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Second day of modding complete. Made a quick trip into town to get lawn edging for an air dam and some more duct tape, and noticed a significant increase in coasting ability, with just the upper grille block and front wheel covers, so this has me pumped.

Finished the rear wheel covers and installed them, then started working on the lower bumper grille block/fog light cover.

I first made a cardboard template to fit, then waterproofed it with duct tape (just like I did with the upper grille block and wheel covers). Attached each piece with zip ties and used duct tape over painters tape to make it flush with the bumper.

Currently about 40% of all grille openings are blocked. We'll see if this works out this summer or if I have to remove some to keep the fans off. Anyone know if the Civic's fans are already electric?

I also ducted the remainder of the lower grille to the radiator in hopes of maximizing the utility of the open part.

Photos attached for all of today's work at the bottom again. If I insert them directly into the post they end up being waayy to large.

Next steps:
- Air dam
- Windshield wiper deflector
...and of course experimenting with the kammtail idea I have...but that one might be a while yet. I probably won't get to the air dam or windshield wiper deflector until next Saturday due to my busy weekly schedule.

No testing done yet; had to return and get a replacement OBD2 adapter since this one suddenly stopped working in the middle of a trip (). I do know that if yesterday's mods significantly improved my coasting ability, which in turn increases FE, then these ones should make it even better, not even including their aero benefit for cruising.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? I want feedback!

Holy crap! Doing work, son!
You might wanna add some holes for checking air pressure without removing the entire cover... otherwise, looking good! You’ve currently matched where I’m at with my car lol

My last Ecotec project...