Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Second day of modding complete. Made a quick trip into town to get lawn edging for an air dam and some more duct tape, and noticed a significant increase in coasting ability, with just the upper grille block and front wheel covers, so this has me pumped.

Finished the rear wheel covers and installed them, then started working on the lower bumper grille block/fog light cover.

I first made a cardboard template to fit, then waterproofed it with duct tape (just like I did with the upper grille block and wheel covers). Attached each piece with zip ties and used duct tape over painters tape to make it flush with the bumper.

Currently about 40% of all grille openings are blocked. We'll see if this works out this summer or if I have to remove some to keep the fans off. Anyone know if the Civic's fans are already electric?

I also ducted the remainder of the lower grille to the radiator in hopes of maximizing the utility of the open part.

Photos attached for all of today's work at the bottom again. If I insert them directly into the post they end up being waayy to large.

Next steps:
- Air dam
- Windshield wiper deflector
...and of course experimenting with the kammtail idea I have...but that one might be a while yet. I probably won't get to the air dam or windshield wiper deflector until next Saturday due to my busy weekly schedule.

No testing done yet; had to return and get a replacement OBD2 adapter since this one suddenly stopped working in the middle of a trip (). I do know that if yesterday's mods significantly improved my coasting ability, which in turn increases FE, then these ones should make it even better, not even including their aero benefit for cruising.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? I want feedback!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7113.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	23984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7114.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	23985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7115.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	23986  

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The fan is electric. 40% is okay for blocking, and temp should trigger the fan. On long hills temps will jump a bit. In such a situation you might turn the cabin heater on full blast. Also, on my 1998 a setting that helps a lot in normal conditions and uses no energy: temp selector on hot, fan off, internal air circulation selected. Amazingly, the coolant runs thrpough the cabin heat exchanger but the hot air does not come into the cabin.

Do you have a way to monitor temps accurately (not the OEM gauge)?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The fan is electric. 40% is okay for blocking, and temp should trigger the fan. On long hills temps will jump a bit. In such a situation you might turn the cabin heater on full blast. Also, on my 1998 a setting that helps a lot in normal conditions and uses no energy: temp selector on hot, fan off, internal air circulation selected. Amazingly, the coolant runs thrpough the cabin heat exchanger but the hot air does not come into the cabin.

Do you have a way to monitor temps accurately (not the OEM gauge)?
Cabin...heater? It's already like 90 degrees Fahrenheit in my car now with temps at 60 Fahrenheit outside and no AC.

If the fan is electric it doesn't consume much power right? Compared to the gains from the blocking, that is. Fan has yet to turn on yet, but just asking out of curiosity.

Up until a few days ago I had been monitoring FE and coolant temp through Torque, but my adapter stopped working and a replacement is currently on its way. When I had only the upper grille block temps stayed the same but the engine warmed up ~0.5 miles sooner (+0.5 mpg over 3 short trips spanning 20 miles, from warm up time alone, not including any aero benefits). Only the outer edges of the lower radiator are blocked with the current setup, and the edges are ducted to the radiator, so I'm fairly confident everything will be okay, but do want to get back to actively monitoring it when my new adapter comes.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #54 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Yup. Cabin heater. Also, you can do the old cabbie trick and pop the hood. Juast make sure your safety release is good and strong so the hood does not fly into your windshield.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Second day of modding complete. Made a quick trip into town to get lawn edging for an air dam and some more duct tape, and noticed a significant increase in coasting ability, with just the upper grille block and front wheel covers, so this has me pumped.

Finished the rear wheel covers and installed them, then started working on the lower bumper grille block/fog light cover.

I first made a cardboard template to fit, then waterproofed it with duct tape (just like I did with the upper grille block and wheel covers). Attached each piece with zip ties and used duct tape over painters tape to make it flush with the bumper.

Currently about 40% of all grille openings are blocked. We'll see if this works out this summer or if I have to remove some to keep the fans off. Anyone know if the Civic's fans are already electric?

I also ducted the remainder of the lower grille to the radiator in hopes of maximizing the utility of the open part.

Photos attached for all of today's work at the bottom again. If I insert them directly into the post they end up being waayy to large.

Next steps:
- Air dam
- Windshield wiper deflector
...and of course experimenting with the kammtail idea I have...but that one might be a while yet. I probably won't get to the air dam or windshield wiper deflector until next Saturday due to my busy weekly schedule.

No testing done yet; had to return and get a replacement OBD2 adapter since this one suddenly stopped working in the middle of a trip (). I do know that if yesterday's mods significantly improved my coasting ability, which in turn increases FE, then these ones should make it even better, not even including their aero benefit for cruising.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? I want feedback!

Holy crap! Doing work, son!
You might wanna add some holes for checking air pressure without removing the entire cover... otherwise, looking good! You’ve currently matched where I’m at with my car lol

My last Ecotec project...
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I think a general rule is that if you're running the fan with any frequency, those electrical losses will offset the gains from a block. It's best to back the block off a bit if you find this to be the case.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Didn't someone make a fan indicator light? As I recall, they installed it under the back of the hood.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Yup. Cabin heater. Also, you can do the old cabbie trick and pop the hood. Juast make sure your safety release is good and strong so the hood does not fly into your windshield.
Wait, why would I want to do this? My car isn't anywhere close to overheating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Holy crap! Doing work, son!
You might wanna add some holes for checking air pressure without removing the entire cover... otherwise, looking good! You’ve currently matched where I’m at with my car lol
All thanks to you guys and what you post!

That's what I was originally planning on doing...but these are made from cardboard, and if I made holes for that, then that would leave edges of cardboard exposed, making them no longer waterproof. Unless you have an idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I think a general rule is that if you're running the fan with any frequency, those electrical losses will offset the gains from a block. It's best to back the block off a bit if you find this to be the case.
So far the temps haven't gone noticeably higher, maybe 1 degree or so on hills when the day is warmer, but that isn't out of the ordinary, so I'm pretty sure the fan hasn't turned on.

Honestly not as much of the grille is blocked as it looks like. The upper grille opening is super small - only part of the lower part below the bar that runs horizontally through the center of the upper grille is open, so blocking it off was more for aero than anything, and only maybe an inch or two on each side of the lower block is closed, and it's ducted, so I'm guessing that'll help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Didn't someone make a fan indicator light? As I recall, they installed it under the back of the hood.
That would be cool...if I could figure out how. That seems to be in the class of "mods I would love to do but don't have the expertise and know-how to do". Anyone can do duct tape and cardboard lol.

------------------------------------

There is definitely an improvement, but unable to accurately quantify it due to being in the process of replacing my OBD2 adapter under warranty. Have definitely noticed less effort from the engine in driving and an improved warm up time, and a MAJOR improvement in coasting ability. Areas where I lost speed I generally maintain it, and areas where I maintain speed I've usually gained speed.

Right now trying to figure out how to attach the lawn edging as an air dam. Edging is 4"; was going to try it at that length and trim it if it scrapes too much. There doesn't seem to be much to screw into, unless I split the circular part at the top in half, bend it perpendicularly, and screw it into the bumper.

Good news is, there are already stock holes in the bumper for this, and the mounting points for the current, falling apart, 1/2-inch factory air dam are good places for zip ties.

From what I've read, the air dam is the best FE improving mod compared to what I've done already, and I think I read somewhere it offers the best improvement in FE to the 7th gen Civic than any other single mod with the exception of a boattail (and engine mods)?

Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 04-24-2018 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Misspelling :)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
When I had the Malibu, I just screwed my new air dam to the stock one... it was a noticeable gain in FE too... mine scraped everywhere though

My last Ecotec project...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
When I had the Malibu, I just screwed my new air dam to the stock one... it was a noticeable gain in FE too... mine scraped everywhere though
My stock air dam--if it can even be called one--hangs maybe half an inch and doesn't cover really anything; it's more a lip than an air dam really. It's also falling off in parts so wouldn't be that sturdy, and it's mounting points would work well. I was thinking of using a knife to split the circular end of the lawn edging, fold it back and bolt + zip tie that in.

I don't mind it scraping since it was only like $5, as long is it doesn't prevent me from coasting in parking lots and stuff, and create any damaging wear on my bumper.

Probably won't get to it until Sunday though. Still noticing large improvements this tank from my mods. Will probably be filling up in the next couple of days, and my new OBDI2 adapter should be coming in the mail soon. Have gotten a few comments but not many. Mods are noticeable, but not that bad if you're just driving by each other on the road. Police don't seem to mind it either. Lovin' it so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
westb87 (04-26-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
7th gen civic, automatic transmission, build thread, civic auto, honda civic