View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Eh, I love Honda but they are not over 40%. The reason why it may seem like it though is Honda has always been very lightweight with very great aero and was just were the only ones who could get lean burn to pass emissions until they finally gave up on it. I wanna see some sources lol. Hilariously I have a recent report from a group at Stanford that tested the 1997 LS1 and did a report on it. That damn engine hits 35% thermal efficiency at load at 2000 rpm lol. There are a lot of 35% thermal efficiency engines from the 90s forward though. Makes you wonder if manufacturers stagnated on improvements on purpose to save money and just sell cars until here recently when the regulations went up.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...shade-of-green

Quote:
Good news: Honda says that the thermal efficiency of the internal combustion engine is up to 40 percent (compared to 38.9 percent of the last generation). The batteries are also physically smaller this year too, which helps the Accord fit a bigger gas tank between the rear seats and the trunk—14.8 gallons in the normal Accord vs. 12.8 gallons in the hybrid.
They finally dethroned the G1 Insight's motor in 2014.

EDIT: It's also a beltless motor, with no gearbox/transmission to speak of. It connects to the wheels with a single clutched reduction gear. It has heat recovery on the exhaust, and is assisted by a 135kw motor.