View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
westb87
No idea what I'm doing

Sleek - '04 Honda Civic Coupe LX
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Broomstick - '18 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Tech & 4Motion
90 day: 21.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Prior to modding I wasn't able to consistently hit 50 MPG at 44 mph or above. Now with the mods and driving 36-43 mph (when safe) I'm able to maintain 50+ mpg on level ground.

Before modding I averaged 39 MPG with cruise control set at 55 mph. I haven't tested that since modding since I've rarely gone above 43 mph.

Packaging tape can ruin your paint, just like duct tape. I used blue painters tape and then covered it with colored duct tape. Painters tape is easy to remove (people with $10,000 paint jobs on their cars use it to protect their cars' paint jobs when taking their cars to car meets) and it doesn't damage your car's paint. And of course duct tape over it covers the ugly blue color.
This car would never see that type of MPG with the cruise set. When I'm using cruise I'm averaging 29-30 per the SGII. However, I've only calibrated (and used) one full tank on this car, so the SGII may be slightly off compounded by my further practice of FE skills and I could see a bigger boost in FE by the time I go to fill up my next tank. I'm hoping my MPG is really higher than the SGII is giving me feedback on ATM.

Ah, good to know. I keep a pretty regular coat of Meguiar's Ultimate wax on all my vehicles so I'd rather not damage the paint. I'll be sure to do the primary adhesion with painter's tape first as you've suggested. Thanks!

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.