Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
No idea what I'm doing

Sleek - '04 Honda Civic Coupe LX
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Broomstick - '18 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Tech & 4Motion
90 day: 21.66 mpg (US)
Hello from Huntsville, AL!

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, network engineer, and "Rocket City" resident here. Sold my beloved 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 and purchased my sister in law's 2004 Honda Civic Coupe LX Auto-trans (55,000 miles on it); because I do nothing but commute with my vehicle and my wife and I bought an SUV to accommodate the kids and tow the boat. The car was in decent shape, but not anything spectacular; needed a lot of mechanical love, some minor exterior love, and a deep interior clean. I'm looking to try to eke 40mpg (hopefully more!) out of this car and so far with some hypermiling techniques (neutral coasting as much as possible, some FAS, DWL, etc) I've been able to squeeze almost 34mpg out of this car (which is EPA highway) around town. My work commute is 15 miles of a handful of stoplights and some swoopy hills and averages around 40-60mph (I refuse to travel over 60 when I'm concerned with FE).

I'm concerned that something else could be wrong with the car and that's why I'm finding myself only able to currently squeeze out EPA HWY mileage while being so diligent with maintenance and FE techniques. I've changed coolant, thermostat, rad cap. Purchased an SGII. Checked, cleaned, and regapped spark plugs. Air filter replaced. All brake components from the lines to the rotors/drums replaced. Transmission fluid has been drained and filled 3 times now to bring the fluid up to snuff (Currently using Mobil1 Synthetic ATF, will change to Amsoil Fuel-Efficient ATF). Power steering fluid drained and filled 3 times with fresh synthetic fluid (there was notable PS whine when I bought the car). Tires aired up to sidewall max plus 5psi. I haven't changed the oil yet because my sister in law just had the oil changed with a synth-blend Valvoline before I bought the car and I just don't have it in me to change perfectly good oil atm. Once it goes to 60,000 miles (~5000mi from now) I'll change out to Mobil1 5w-20.

It's good to meet everyone!

EDIT: Where do I get one of those SWEET ecomodder signature images that displays your vehicle, MPG, percentage over EPA estimate, etc?!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have little doubt you'll be able to get the Civic up to 40 mpg. Good luck with it!

Here is how to setup your signature:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ure-20941.html
westb87 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
You should have no problem beating 40 MPG in your Civic! Without hypermiling I was getting ~35 mpg. With hypermiling I was getting 39-41. And now with ecomods my current tank finished off at 44 mpg. And most of my trips are short 5-10 mile trips. Mine is an auto as well.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
westb87 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
No idea what I'm doing

Got it. Thanks Daox!!!
Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
You should have no problem beating 40 MPG in your Civic! Without hypermiling I was getting ~35 mpg. With hypermiling I was getting 39-41. And now with ecomods my current tank finished off at 44 mpg. And most of my trips are short 5-10 mile trips. Mine is an auto as well.
That's so awesome. I'm doing hypermiling techniques now and I'm getting around 34mpg so hopefully I can use some of those sweet grille blocks, airdam, and coroplast wheel covers you've used to squish me above the 40 mark! I'm also going to remove the exterior rearview mirrors because Alabama law only requires a mirror that allows a view of 200' of highway behind the vehicle!
Old 04-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by westb87 View Post
That's so awesome. I'm doing hypermiling techniques now and I'm getting around 34mpg so hopefully I can use some of those sweet grille blocks, airdam, and coroplast wheel covers you've used to squish me above the 40 mark! I'm also going to remove the exterior rearview mirrors because Alabama law only requires a mirror that allows a view of 200' of highway behind the vehicle!
That's great that you're already matching the highway numbers on regular driving! Hypermiling takes time to maximize techniques and your cars quirks, so be prepared for those numbers to continue skyrocketing!

I noticed quite the improvement in coasting ability from the wheel covers, grille blocking, and fog light covers (you can view my Ecomodder build thread here). I haven't installed an air dam yet but will hopefully do that this weekend.

This generation Civic (mine, at least) seems to get the best FE at 36 mph, right when it shifts into overdrive. Best range seems to be 36-43 mph.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
That's great that you're already matching the highway numbers on regular driving! Hypermiling takes time to maximize techniques and your cars quirks, so be prepared for those numbers to continue skyrocketing!

I noticed quite the improvement in coasting ability from the wheel covers, grille blocking, and fog light covers (you can view my Ecomodder build thread here). I haven't installed an air dam yet but will hopefully do that this weekend.

This generation Civic (mine, at least) seems to get the best FE at 36 mph, right when it shifts into overdrive. Best range seems to be 36-43 mph.
Ours are very similar with the exception of the coupe/sedan difference! I've noticed that my FE tends to maximize around 45-48. I've been able to coax TC lockup at low speeds too, which was a lot better than my 04 Ram used to! That sucker would absolutely refuse to lockup until I was doing 45mph.

Anywho, I'm going to get my hands on some packing tape to test out some grille blockage and remove the mirrors this weekend. I'll make a build thread and hopefully report back!

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Ours are very similar with the exception of the coupe/sedan difference! I've noticed that my FE tends to maximize around 45-48. I've been able to coax TC lockup at low speeds too, which was a lot better than my 04 Ram used to! That sucker would absolutely refuse to lockup until I was doing 45mph.

Anywho, I'm going to get my hands on some packing tape to test out some grille blockage and remove the mirrors this weekend. I'll make a build thread and hopefully report back!
Prior to modding I wasn't able to consistently hit 50 MPG at 44 mph or above. Now with the mods and driving 36-43 mph (when safe) I'm able to maintain 50+ mpg on level ground.

Before modding I averaged 39 MPG with cruise control set at 55 mph. I haven't tested that since modding since I've rarely gone above 43 mph.

Packaging tape can ruin your paint, just like duct tape. I used blue painters tape and then covered it with colored duct tape. Painters tape is easy to remove (people with $10,000 paint jobs on their cars use it to protect their cars' paint jobs when taking their cars to car meets) and it doesn't damage your car's paint. And of course duct tape over it covers the ugly blue color.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
westb87 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Prior to modding I wasn't able to consistently hit 50 MPG at 44 mph or above. Now with the mods and driving 36-43 mph (when safe) I'm able to maintain 50+ mpg on level ground.

Before modding I averaged 39 MPG with cruise control set at 55 mph. I haven't tested that since modding since I've rarely gone above 43 mph.

Packaging tape can ruin your paint, just like duct tape. I used blue painters tape and then covered it with colored duct tape. Painters tape is easy to remove (people with $10,000 paint jobs on their cars use it to protect their cars' paint jobs when taking their cars to car meets) and it doesn't damage your car's paint. And of course duct tape over it covers the ugly blue color.
This car would never see that type of MPG with the cruise set. When I'm using cruise I'm averaging 29-30 per the SGII. However, I've only calibrated (and used) one full tank on this car, so the SGII may be slightly off compounded by my further practice of FE skills and I could see a bigger boost in FE by the time I go to fill up my next tank. I'm hoping my MPG is really higher than the SGII is giving me feedback on ATM.

Ah, good to know. I keep a pretty regular coat of Meguiar's Ultimate wax on all my vehicles so I'd rather not damage the paint. I'll be sure to do the primary adhesion with painter's tape first as you've suggested. Thanks!

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
This car would never see that type of MPG with the cruise set. When I'm using cruise I'm averaging 29-30 per the SGII. However, I've only calibrated (and used) one full tank on this car, so the SGII may be slightly off compounded by my further practice of FE skills and I could see a bigger boost in FE by the time I go to fill up my next tank. I'm hoping my MPG is really higher than the SGII is giving me feedback on ATM.

Ah, good to know. I keep a pretty regular coat of Meguiar's Ultimate wax on all my vehicles so I'd rather not damage the paint. I'll be sure to do the primary adhesion with painter's tape first as you've suggested. Thanks!
29-30 mpg with cruise set at what speed? 29-30 mpg should be for cruising speeds like 80+ mph...have you had your vehicle serviced to see if there's anything there? When I bought my car I had a dragging brake caliper that made the first half of my first tank only ~31 mpg before fixing it. And when I had my timing belt changed along with the transmission and brake fluids, it probably added another 1 mpg or so. A dirty air filter can also harm FE, but those are relatively cheap to replace (I replaced mine for $8).

Reply  Post New Thread