View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #64 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Have you started on your engine under cover yet? I did mine a few months ago and it seems to be helping.

My Civic is an '04, same generation as yours, but a Hybrid. Hybrid manual. Mmm, drink it in.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm pretty sure the Hybrid was equipped with a full engine under cover from the factory, but it was long gone. This is the gaping chasm of turbulent chaos that's revealed when it's missing:

A lot of the press-in expansion anchors were missing or damaged, so I bought a bag of 50 from Amazon. And now I have no idea where the other 35 have gone, isn't that always the way.

The engine cover isn't terribly sophisticated but I had an idea: since the cover I was installing would go in with a lot of not-easily-removed hardware (zip ties), I thought making it easy to get to the oil drain and filter would go a long way to avoiding some knuckledragger tearing off the whole cover and just throwing it away. Thus:

Just moving the arrow-shaped tab frees up the access door.

It covers most of the engine compartment to a few inches aft of the main crossmember. I haven't extended it but the weather's getting warmer and I have more coroplast.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
mpg_numbers_guy (04-27-2018), Xist (04-27-2018)