View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The White House is trying to freeze CAFE goals until 2026 and revoke California's ability to set its own standards (which twelve other states copy).
I wouldn't hold my breath for any of those possibilities, and even though I don't believe the average Joe would be so supportive of the rising prices on any new compact car due to the cost added by the tech required in order to achieve such goals, it doesn't seem technically impossible at all. A simple look at those Prius repowering into older American iron and the quite recent introduction of a FWD full-size van in America got me thinking about it. Not to mention the Volvo XC90 which has nearly the size of a Tahoe but is now fitted exclusively with 4-cyl engines. Well, I don't know how a random redneck would react to a 4-cyl transverse-engined FWD equivalent of an F-250, or someone who claims to be a hardcore off-road enthusiast whining that all-around independent suspension would ruin oneself's adventures at the nearest mall's parking lot in a 4Runner (even though the VW Beetle had already been proven quite off-road capable with its primitive 4-wheel independent suspension, and all those Baja bugs too), but some actual improvement to average fuel-efficiency doesn't seem totally out of reach.