View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #60 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
RedPoint, I tried to verify Venezuela making starving illegal. All that I found was that reporting starvation is unlawful
I purposely misrepresented the facts to highlight the absurdity of trying to legislate away an intractable problem; one which lives in the hearts of people.

"Anti-hate" laws are counterproductive in at least 3 major ways:

1. It compels people who hold bigoted views to secretly conceal them, which insulates them from public reprimand.

2. It's impossible to convict someone of having been motivated by hatred towards a protected class of person since all they have to say is they hate everything about the individual (which is way worse), instead of admitting that they hate the person because they are Klingon.

3. Finally, it discriminates against any other arbitrary class of people not deemed worthy of special protection. This essentially assumes some types of people are weak and incapable of standing up to adversity, while assuming other types of people are stronger.

Anti-hate and compelled speech laws suffer the same problem as "gun free" zones (98% of mass shootings take place in gun free zones) in that the intention of the law is completely undermined by reality.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!