View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #358 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Car is off the road again. Been servicing the transmission but most importantly, I have begun the head gasket too. Gotta get 'er done soonish but be patient enough to do the new process correctly. Right now, waiting for penetrant to loosen intake manifold bolts.

Transmission service pro-tip: I have been using a cleaner in the oil. The process has revealed to me that it had too much oil in it and that was largely responsible for my shifting stiffness. I had initially filled the trans the way dudes on honda-tech recommend: get to level ground and fill until it drips out the filler hole. But that is too much, in my case at least. I got foamy tan-colored oil out of the top of the transmission when I opened the filler hole. So, the lesson is that the FSM says it takes 1.9 liters, folks: measure it precisely and benefit immensely.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
deluxx (05-03-2018), PaleMelanesian (05-01-2018), Xist (04-30-2018)