View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #130 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I see you are right it was an 8th Gen Civic. But it was the sedan, not the coupe. Anyway, it is not that the boat-tail would hurt, necessarily, but mostly that the benefit might be disappointingly slight for all the work. Getting it right is difficult because the shape involves compound curves that can deal with flow coming from below, sides, and top. If the angles and curves are not right you get less benefit or none. So it needs a lot of thought and patience.
sigh. This is why most eco-drivers don't ecomod lol.

Quote:
You have the auto, so the engine off coasting thing is out.
What about when approaching a stop and you've coasted to below 15 mph and the mpg readout is 30 or under? Is it okay to turn it off and coast the last few feet?

Quote:
HYPERMILING: turning the car off at stoplights, and using engine braking to slow the car when approaching a stop. Engine braking will trigger deceleration fuel cut-off and you will coast to about 1600 RPMs without burning fuel.
I have the lights timed mostly perfect so far that I haven't had to stop much.

Quote:
MODS: undertray (AKA "bellypan") with diffuser
Wouldn't the gains from that be negligible with the air dam?

Quote:
electric block heater to shorten warm-up time
Definitely on my list...eventually.

Quote:
weight reduction especially if you drive in urban suburban places
I've thought of this, but wouldn't the reduced weight reduce coasting ability? Like, when going down even a slight downhill my MPGs jump to like 85...wouldn't the weight reduction require the generation of more momentum in cruising, thus cancelling out the benefit from the lighter weight?

Quote:
larger wheel/tire diameter for taller gearing, LRR tires
Tires are almost new (<2000 miles on them). Unless I could sell them and buy different ones. I'd just have to figure out which wheel/tire combos would work with my car.

Quote:
eliminating power steering or putting it on an underdrive pully
I generally take turns at 15-25 mph (when safe) to reduce acceleration, wouldn't this make that impossible due to the increased steering difficulty?

Quote:
putting alternator on an on/off switch and getting a deep cycle battery to charge from the grid
Aren't the batteries expensive, and isn't their lifespan short enough to where there is no ROI?

EDIT: And btw thank you for ALL your helpful input!!

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)

Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 05-06-2018 at 11:04 AM..