View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #133 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
If RPM is still over the minimum threshold, usually about 1500/1600 in my experience but sometimes lower, then the computer should have cut off fuel entirely if your foot is totally off the throttle. That would be "infinite" gas mileage. Can you select gears at all? Is the a "L1" and L2" choice on your gear selector?
Yea the auto lets you select third and second gear, but not first. So are you saying downshift when coming to a stop to keep the RPMs above 1600 instead of coasting to a stop in neutral from a distance?

Quote:
It all depends on your driving conditions. For example, if you drive in traffic where both somewhat hard acceleration from a stop is frequently as unavoidable as friction brake stops, then weight reduction is a good idea. If you have lots of opportunities to coast off all or almost all of your speed, then weight reduction is probably not much of a benefit.
There are stops on my routes, but my driving style rarely require stopping except for stop signs. Yet. This fall I will be going to college in Virginia, and most of my driving (if any) will be heavy traffic, so weight reduction would seem to be key then.

Quote:
Above 5 or 10 mph, most people cannot tell much difference between PS and non-PS, in my experience. It's most useful in parking and such.
The problem with that is that my dad wouldn't let me do that...and since I'm on their insurance until this fall I'm kinda stuck there.

Quote:
Yes, they are more expensive. My Odyssey 1200 with the metal jacket coast over $200 and it lasted 7 years. If you buy the right charger and plan not to draw down the charge very much, using the alt once you get down to 50% charge, then the battery will last ages. I think I killed mine prematurely because I started charging devices on it and not always remembering to plug in at night anymore. If I were doing it again, I would go for lithium batteries. More charge cycles. I jsut could not justify the outlay for a new charger when I have a great one for the Odyssey battery, so I bought another odyssey battery (lead acid). My alt delete is probably worth about 3 mpg. Maybe more. Impossible to measure. I have no idea if it is a great ROI measured directly. But if I think about how much I learned and how these mods and my fuel savings encourage me to keep the car, and then if I remember the cost of Prius in depreciation and insurance... well, every mod to "Black & Green" has pretty good ROI.
Out of curiosity, how far can you go on a trip completely alternator-less without going below your 50% threshold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Air dams are considered to be most of the benefit of a belly pan with only a fraction of the work, but all of the cool kids have belly pans...
Since when does an ecomodder care about being cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am not now, nor have I ever been a cool kid...
Exactly!

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)