View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

I looked all over before finding the 'right' one.

I learned if you want A/C, search Craig's List in all the Arizona areas, seems like 1 in 3, three cylinder Metros have AC in Phoenix, but only 1 in 10, three cyl have AC in California. I never saw a three cylinder listed for sale with cruise control. Usually when looking, I found stripped bare-bones Metros wo/any features, or and Lsi with 4 cylinder, AC, Cruise, a bell or two (unfortunately, never any whistles )

Common things wrong with used Metros seem to be comsmetics (not very loved) three different brands of used tires w/cracked sidewalls, split CV boots that need reapir, broken door handles and window winders. Not passing the emissions test is another one, bad catalitic converter ofter sited in the ad.

The cool thing is, if you know what you are looking at, you can use the 'delayed maintainance' items as negotiating points, to bring the price down. Parts for these are cheap, and I found the Metro easy to work on.

replacement axle assy with new boots $65 45 minutes to replace in my driveway

rotors: $40 ea

Be prepared to look at a couple duds, before finding a good one. Don't be afraid to just 'pass'. I fashoined a tow bar rig to take with me to look at one, that I never ended up using. Iwas prepared to tow the right one home behind my Celica. I was prepared to pick one up 400 miles away if need be. I'd advise cash in pocket, looking twice/day on Craig's, overnight bag packed to go look at a cream puff on an hours notice if one comes up. The good ones sell fast.

happy hunting, enjoy the ride!