View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #86 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j99civic View Post
The owner changed the synthetic oil every 5k miles...

I will be loath to take it to any mechanic. The owner took great care of the car, did all the work and didn't have any records, which is fine with me. He has been quite open and honest about all of the details, and he called later to make sure all was well.

...I'm going to check and charge the 12v battery today just to make sure it's okay.
I change the oil once a year and have gone over 12k miles. Blackstone report says I can extend even further. Have been using Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic. No oil consumption at about 80k miles.

Buying private party is usually going to get you more information and more honesty since the owner knows what the history of the vehicle is, and dealerships do not. Private parties are usually less skilled in deception and selling strategies. I agree that a mechanic is not necessary since most problems can be easily identified yourself (uneven tire wear, oil low or other fluids, etc).

No need to charge the 12v battery; it's charged every time the traction battery is being charged, or whenever the car is "on".

I've been running a LiFePO4 battery for the past 2 years since it lives inside the cabin (not likely to freeze inside, which is bad for LiFePO4), and costs less than the OEM battery.

Has the constant reverse beep tone been disabled yet? I used a mini VCI cable and Techstream to set various settings on the car, including disabling the reverse beep.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-08-2018 at 01:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (05-15-2018)