View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #210 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
But was it fun?
I didn't go on the right kinds of roads to truly enjoy what that bike is about, but it was fun.

The four speed transmission definitely limited fun, part of why I like low power bikes is being able to run through the gears, and quickly. With its wide ratio four speed it didn't give that sense of running through the gears that I wanted. My first ride on the bike I was pretty nervous since it was so twitchy, but that second ride was where I got more daring and decided to go superman. I also discovered that the bike is light enough that I could pop the front end up a few inches just by bouncing it. Add a little throttle and you could have a dank wheelie, but I wasn't about to go stunting on a borrowed bike. (That and i'm not good at MOTORCYCLE wheelies). I could definitely see myself getting into stunting if I got a grom, which isn't really a good thing. Then I would want to wheelie all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
What about doing a fairing and maybe some “power mods”(pipe and such)? I mean, a sub-60 top speed seems way too slow except for city commuting or a similar use
There are plenty of mods out there to boost the top speed of the grom to acceptable levels, but yes I agree the stock top speed is too slow. If you get lucky when accelerating and get a slow and tolerant car, you could draft up to 60+ mph, but then mechanical sympathy kicks in because it is so close to the rev limiter at those speeds. There appears to be a one tooth taller front sprocket available, which would help at those higher speeds assuming it could get up there in the first place. I don't know if it would actually fit though.

Disclaimer: Bike had less than 400 miles on it, so top speed would likely improve with further use. I was also about 4400 feet above sea level, which doesn’t help for power.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 05-13-2018 at 12:58 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (05-13-2018)