View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
At freeway speeds, lawn edging is thin plastic foil.
On mine, I used the curve of the edging itself and the ball end down to increase the rigidity in the airflow. I am sure it does not flex as you theorize. I know because I cannot move it aside to get a Jack under the car unless I use significant force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post

when i see these threads discussing the use of lawn edging as air dams

i know the poster is "lacking in candor"

have tried and destroyed lawn edging air damns more than a few times

use a tire tread or two for wide applications , on the geo metro a 185 60 15 re 92 with both side walls sliced off to the edge of the steel belts is about
perfect

it will scrape sometimes but it will never break or crack or split or bend out of the way
unlike
the
useless
lawn edging
which will do all of the above in the first 30 days of use

While I have replaced the edging once and had to improve the mounting a couple times, I have seven years of experience across 80,000 miles that suggests it's not useless as you assert. I think it matters how you mount it. I have not had to redo it in a few years now. It scrapes sometimes. Stays in place.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.