View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #195 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
You are correct,
The mail delivery trucks, made by Grumman, powered by GM or Ford (depends on the year) say 50 psi on the fenders.
We use GY Wrangler tires and that is the max sidewall pressure.
It took the gubmint millions of dollars (I don't have the actual report handy)
and a team of X-spurts
and two years
to come up with this maintenance procedure.
All they had to do was ask me.
Your tax dollars at werk.
NO signs of premature wear, or center tread wear before edge tread wear.
Schultz out.
I knew you'd come through. Good work Mr. Schultz! An actual Gubment Study on the issue -- gold I tell ya!

Way off topic, I see some interesting USPS fleet vehicles out there. Like the Aerostar 4WD -- how are those holding up? I can't recall if a K-Car was thrown in the mix (maybe that was the FAA that still has a few).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Larger vehicles (meaning 3/4 and 1 ton pickup trucks, vans, and in particular the Grumman trucks discussed above) use LT metric tires.
The little Grumman runabouts that are probably in most U.S. neighborhoods (other than Rural personal vehicles) appear to be smaller than a pickup. I wonder what the GVWR is on those...

Back to Minivans -- I'm sure most people overload them. If you get 6 adults in there, the max payload is likely reached. If I remember correctly, most have passenger tires, as opposed to LT.

Anyways, I'm already sacrificing ride quality with the extra air, but it has been paying dividends. If I do haul something large in the hatchback, it would likely exceed the vehicle's recommended capacity before the tires.

I wonder how many people out on the roads are just, overloaded...

RH77

_
_