View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
arcosine
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
That's because he couldn't ignite the lean gas mixture unless he squirted some diesel in. This was done on LP powered locomotive diesel engines in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have not tried it.

But damage is not just possible but almost inevitable, on a time horizon too near and at a price too dear for anyone on a normal budget and in need of their car on a daily basis.

I watched the "Engineering Explained" vid you linked to as well. But I think he implicitly answers the question of whether this is a good mod for a standard road car in his explanation. The engine he describes was was specially designed with dual ports for differently timed injections of the two fuels. It also had a super high 16:1 compression ratio and outlandishly lean AFRs programmed into the ECU, such as 45:1 at times.

So, I would never try it on my car. I would not expect more than a marginal benefit in engine efficiency from just mixing diesel with gasoline in a conventional gasoline engine. I would expect engine damage, the likelihood of which would depend on how radical you are in the mixture.