Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ine-11163.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2018, 03:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Interesting.
The only use I have heard of is opposite - to add few liters of petrol into full tank of diesel so you have some antifreeze protection...
Old 05-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
Bad logic, as diesel will not combust entirely and will emit stinky white smoke in a gas engine. Nobody behind you will like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I googled the energy densities of the two fuels. I did have to guess that diesel has 0 octane rating, based on the fact that an Otto cycle engine and a diesel cycle engine use the opposite forms of combustion, I couldn’t find a rating...

I guessed at the ratio to still keep the mixture at at least 87 AKI octane, to prevent definite engine damage, averaging diesel in at 0 octane... if it were, say, rated at 60, things would change some, in that you could run more diesel in gasoline and still have a mixture average of 87, but it wouldn’t boost the energy density of the resultant fuel enough to bother with, IMO... if mixing some diesel in makes the fuel mix cheaper than straight gasoline, then it could be a feasible option for reducing your fuel bill but I don’t believe it will boost efficiency enough to see from tank to tank

Old 05-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...add a little DDT and you've got a "Mosquito Spraying Fogger" vehicle.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashy View Post
... The question still has not been answered: has anyone tried it? https://youtu.be/pCr6bjQMrgU
I have not tried it.

But damage is not just possible but almost inevitable, on a time horizon too near and at a price too dear for anyone on a normal budget and in need of their car on a daily basis.

I watched the "Engineering Explained" vid you linked to as well. But I think he implicitly answers the question of whether this is a good mod for a standard road car in his explanation. The engine he describes was was specially designed with dual ports for differently timed injections of the two fuels. It also had a super high 16:1 compression ratio and outlandishly lean AFRs programmed into the ECU, such as 45:1 at times.

So, I would never try it on my car. I would not expect more than a marginal benefit in engine efficiency from just mixing diesel with gasoline in a conventional gasoline engine. I would expect engine damage, the likelihood of which would depend on how radical you are in the mixture.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashy View Post
I watched an episode of fifth gear

The question still has not been answered: has anyone tried it?
https://youtu.be/pCr6bjQMrgU
Yes it has been answered

This guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Had run a diesel gas mix for years, bigger engines from around the early 2k era work the best.

As for a “FLEXBOOST” Diesel those usually independently inject a diesel “spark plug” to ignite another fuel like e85 or CNG.

This requires separate tanks and a control system, works very well to give a naturally aspirated diesel both fuel economy, simplicity, emissions and power,
Sadly it appears unlikely to happen due to things called laws which have different emissions requirements for diesel or gasoline which would make a real dual fuel beast aftermarket at best,

ah well.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Crashy (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
ASV
weirdo

the number is 15 not 0
otherwise it would spontaneously combust
and the diesel engine is more efficient because of 0 throttling AND higher calorie fuel as well as a very long stroke and lean mix.
it all adds up

its simple really

if you want more miles per tank do it
if you want more miles per dollar don't
Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I mentioned Jason Fenske's explanation in this thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...cci-36404.html

After googling around I found that propane (and possibly natural gas) kits for diesel engines were a real thing, mostly used for more power (and inevitable damage) but could (barely) increase efficiency. I was mainly interested in natural gas as it is relatively abundant right now in the USA.

These systems don't appear to have near the control of control over the propane inserted into the airflow and don't appear to have much more control over the existing ECU (presumably the driver adjusts the air-fuel ratio with his right foot as you start with a diesel engine).

If you wanted to get the effects from the RCCI research, you would probably have to hack a megasquirt to handle two complete ignition systems (probably buy two and have a master/slave system where the diesel megasquirt gives the gasoline one specific fuel injection levels and otherwise ignores it).

If it works at all I'd expect to see it in commercial trucks. I'd expect them to deal with adding fuel from two pumps for a 20% increase in fuel efficiency, followed by truck stops having gas/e85 next to diesel pumps at truck stops.

My guess is that existing propane kits are unlikely to increase efficiency enough to bother without heavy megasquirt hacking. How much you are into that is up to you. One other interesting thing is that most of the research centered on a single RPM: this is close to commercial truck practice, but also of interest to solar enthusiasts who want generator backup. Presumably 1800 rpm would be ideal (you really need 3600, but you could design the generator with more poles or possibly gear it. The efficiency of 1800 should outweigh the gearing issue).
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
That's because he couldn't ignite the lean gas mixture unless he squirted some diesel in. This was done on LP powered locomotive diesel engines in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have not tried it.

But damage is not just possible but almost inevitable, on a time horizon too near and at a price too dear for anyone on a normal budget and in need of their car on a daily basis.

I watched the "Engineering Explained" vid you linked to as well. But I think he implicitly answers the question of whether this is a good mod for a standard road car in his explanation. The engine he describes was was specially designed with dual ports for differently timed injections of the two fuels. It also had a super high 16:1 compression ratio and outlandishly lean AFRs programmed into the ECU, such as 45:1 at times.

So, I would never try it on my car. I would not expect more than a marginal benefit in engine efficiency from just mixing diesel with gasoline in a conventional gasoline engine. I would expect engine damage, the likelihood of which would depend on how radical you are in the mixture.

Reply  Post New Thread