View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

Fuel injection may indeed be better with today's less-than-stellar gasoline here in the U. S. (I have a theory that this petrolswill will work okay if blasted into an engine under high pressure but won't work as well with a carburetor, a. k. a. a "controlled leak".)

This being said the VM 22 Mikunis I run on the Lifans in my bikes are only $40 new on eBay and rebuild kits are around $6. These Mikunis are simple as a rock and anyone with a little gumption can take one apart, repair or clean it and have your bike back to an operational state quick and easy, much like the original Cubs. If something in the F. I. system fails on the new Cub you're pretty much looking at a trip to the shop to have a white lab coated technician fix it.

So yeah, a carburetor is more trouble to live with but more economical in the long run after the warranty expires and you have to work on it yourself.

As far as fuel mileage I made a lunch run the other day on my Lifan 125 powered '65 Honda Trail 90 and just bopping along at 35-40 I got 103 MPG. Back at my normal pace of around 50 MPH it dropped to 93 MPG. For the simplicity and ease of repair of this carburetor I'm happy with it's performance and fuel mileage. My K-Pipe is set up the same way.