View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
azraelswrd
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
So at 60 mph does your engine stay over 1400rpm when you let off the throttle? I've found my Neon will cut fuel for a second or two when I let off the gas with the engine over 3000rpm but then it goes back to adding fuel when the rpm drops. I guess having a 3 spd auto with a "looser" torque converter than a 4spd auto they decided not to be aggressive with the fuel cut off.
Yes. It takes time for my throttle to drop while the DFCO takes into account RPM and speed, so it USUALLY ends at 1400rpm and 32mph (I've seen it cut out around 1200 rpm). To put this into the context of time, my own tests showed D-coasts from 45 to 32mph takes an average of 13.5sec. An N-coast from 45 to 32mph, it takes an average of 28sec. That's why I use a combination of the two: D-coast in DFCO then N-coast the rest of the way to get the most MPG out of the distance.

Yeah, it sounds like your car wasn't designed to be as frugal with the DFCO.

I'm also figuring out my optimum TPS per speed proportions and it's really helpful for refining my cruising behavior. Load accelerating has also been great. No more tortoise starts for me (if I can help it)!!!

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance