View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #231 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
01-09-2007, 07:09 Pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW
1. Are the the coils of the contactor solenoids intended to operate at 36 - 48V?
Yes - they're out of the forklift. It only had 1 pack (no 12v), so everything was 36/48 rated.

Quote:
Quote:
2. Are you connecting the 12V battery ground and the 36V battery grounds together? Or is only one connected to the body (I assume atleast the 12V gnd is or you'd have to rewire the rest of the car).
12v is grounded to the chassis; 36/48 is isolated (not grounded to chassis - that's what you call electrically isolated, right?)

Quote:
Quote:
3. The controller looks as if it regulates only the negative connection to the motor.
That's right.

Quote:
Quote:
If the negative side of the battery is always connected to ground (once the neg contactor is closed) and the positive is always connected to the motor (once the positive contactor is closed), then there is a risk of any short (e.g. dropping a wrench) between ground and the negative motor connections throwing the motor into full power (serious lurch).
But for that scenario to happen, someone would have to be pressing the go pedal (to close the pack +ve contactor) while I was dropping the wrench. Not too likely to be wrenching around under those circumstances.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget