View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #44 (permalink)
wyatt
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel And The Wolf View Post
Is that a utility trailer under your box? I used one, and burned out a wheel bearing by pulling it at highway speeds, when it was rated for 45 mph.
It’s the smallest trailer that Harbor Freight sells, but the one with the bigger 1080 pound axle and 13” tires. No issues yet, and at least 5000 miles on it. Most of those miles were significantly under its rated payload (able to pick up and move the back end of the trailer when loaded. This is important because it’s extremely difficult to back with precision).

At any rate, I’m not trying to tell you to buy a utility trailer, I’m telling you that I haven’t had any issues towing a reasonably heavy trailer, like if you were to use the pickup bed. I’m not offended if you decide to go another route, I just want you informed.

If you build a trailer, or anything else, and it doesn’t have a solid skin (say just using fabric), expect no aero benefit. The fabric will just flap in the breeze. I remember a boat tail being built years ago that was covered in heavy plastic that was pulled taunting. It looked great, no aero benefit.

If all you are looking for is a boattail and possibly some cargo toom, you could build off a hitch mounted cargo carrier box. The one I have is stock and rides completely in the wake and doesn’t impact MPG at all. 13 extra cubic feet of cargo volume though (only up to 165 pounds). With this setup you avoid all of the major issues of a trailer (backing, axles, being charged extra at tolls, etc.).

Just giving ideas, use what you like, like I say, I’m not offended if you go a different route than I did.