View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #418 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Did you reuse the head bolts? How come you replaced everything else?
Yes I reused the head bolts, but if you do that, you must create a numbered template of their positions in the head. Get a piece of cardboard and an indelible ink pen and make holes that represent where the bolts go. As you pull the bolts out put them in the corresponding numbered holes in your template.

I replaced the other gaskets and oil seal to avoid leaks. They are all one-time use kinda things. It prolly matters little with the exhaust mani gasket. But the intake gasket you have to replace. A leak there will cause the engine to run badly.

Also, MAKE SURE a pro machines the head to make sure it is level and that you clean the block's deck really well. It will have caked on gasket material. Look up safe procedures for using a blade or pads to really clean all the remnant gasket material or your new gasket will leak for sure. My one area of worry about my job is the possibility that I maybe did not get the block clean enough. Time will tell.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Xist (06-24-2018)