View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
yeah,you'll wanna peek under the nose.The leading edge of the wheelhouse/end of the belly pan leading up to the openings under the car has a molded-in airdam which extends downward and to the rear at a specific angle.There may be other companies who've done this,but Tesla's is the first I've noticed.
If you think the Model S fairings look good, take a peek under a Cadillac CT6 or Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid sometime. They put the Model S and Model 3 to shame--in that specific regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Post #10....If vortex generators (VG's) are a good aero idea why don't we see them on more cars? Not appealing to the general public? I can see how some sedans could use some better air flow attachment to help clear the rear window of snow.
They're all over modern cars, if you know where to look:

2018 Prius c

2018 Yaris

2016 Prius

2018 Civic Type-R

2016 Civic Hatch

2018 Camry

2014 Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Post #26.... (Re: the quote about airflow in the wheel wells) I assume they are referring to"air curtains". I thought I had read that the air should be directed at an angle towards the outside of the tire and NOT head on into it. Tesla (Musk) seems to think head on is better? Could it trap air in the wheel wells creating a "boundary layer" across the opening like a pseudo wheel skirt?
It's hard to tell just looking at ducts on production cars, but all the air curtains I looked at at the Chicago and Indianapolis shows this year appeared to direct the air toward the outside edge of the tire.

Here's the Model 3 duct:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2018), freebeard (06-25-2018)