Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
I love finding these older threads. What a great way to try and learn.

I do have some questions and please remember, I'm not an aero genius. You may have to simplify your answers. I'm going to try and use the right terms but feel free to correct me if I get them wrong.

Post #10....If vortex generators (VG's) are a good aero idea why don't we see them on more cars? Not appealing to the general public? I can see how some sedans could use some better air flow attachment to help clear the rear window of snow.

Post #11.... @Kach22i..... I don't know enough about aerodynamics to experiment with different placements, but with some guidance, I would be your guinea pig.

Post #26.... (Re: the quote about airflow in the wheel wells) I assume they are referring to"air curtains". I thought I had read that the air should be directed at an angle towards the outside of the tire and NOT head on into it. Tesla (Musk) seems to think head on is better? Could it trap air in the wheel wells creating a "boundary layer" across the opening like a pseudo wheel skirt?

Post #26.... I see the reverse mud flaps in front of the front wheels. This is something I would like to try someday in conjunction with a belly pan or airdam. My truck sits pretty tall so I'm not sure which one would be better.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
I think these air channels fluted into the front of the wheel arch may be similar to the VG's discussed on page one.

Honda Civic Type R - Wind Tunnel

The latest Honda Type-R seems to have gone full air fence though.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...=EVS-FK8-SPECE

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/audi-r18-2016/

Quote:
On the inner face of the front fender there is a stack of three strakes, another example of the level of aerodynamic detailing evident on this car.
RACER: Audi R18 e-tron quattro Aerodynamics with Brad Kettler

Quote:
Brad Kettler from Audi Sport Team Joest continues his tech series with the Audi R18 e-tron quattro LPM1-H Le Mans racer, delving into its complex aerodynamics.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 06-24-2018 at 06:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #33 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
yeah,you'll wanna peek under the nose.The leading edge of the wheelhouse/end of the belly pan leading up to the openings under the car has a molded-in airdam which extends downward and to the rear at a specific angle.There may be other companies who've done this,but Tesla's is the first I've noticed.
If you think the Model S fairings look good, take a peek under a Cadillac CT6 or Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid sometime. They put the Model S and Model 3 to shame--in that specific regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Post #10....If vortex generators (VG's) are a good aero idea why don't we see them on more cars? Not appealing to the general public? I can see how some sedans could use some better air flow attachment to help clear the rear window of snow.
They're all over modern cars, if you know where to look:

2018 Prius c

2018 Yaris

2016 Prius

2018 Civic Type-R

2016 Civic Hatch

2018 Camry

2014 Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Post #26.... (Re: the quote about airflow in the wheel wells) I assume they are referring to"air curtains". I thought I had read that the air should be directed at an angle towards the outside of the tire and NOT head on into it. Tesla (Musk) seems to think head on is better? Could it trap air in the wheel wells creating a "boundary layer" across the opening like a pseudo wheel skirt?
It's hard to tell just looking at ducts on production cars, but all the air curtains I looked at at the Chicago and Indianapolis shows this year appeared to direct the air toward the outside edge of the tire.

Here's the Model 3 duct:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2018), freebeard (06-25-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread