View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
The one in this thread saw a +2.5% improvement by coming very near to filling out the aero-template profile.

In the link you provided, looks to be a simple clean edge for the air to release from, and no filling out of the aero-template profile.

Fair analysis?
Yes, that's right. I was trying more of a "box cavity" scale, which professional testing suggests can offer a modest benefit. But the design matters a lot since the box cavilty will interact with other mods. There is little room for error. Also, I was sill pretty new at modding and testing (it was 2013) and I did not fully account for the imprecision of my gauges. For all I know there was a 1% benefit that I could not detect.

But this thread's mod has some cool results. The only problem is that it is not legal to extend beyond the bumpers or obscure lights. I was hoping to "hide" my mod with an "aero bike rack" sticker on it. This bigger mod would be harder to "hide" that way.

The OP has not posted in almost a year. I wish he/she were still around here.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.