View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Lunch break testing of the spark plugs.

The plugs in the car are shot. I did not realize how badly the contamination they show might errode function. With great difficulty getting any resistance readings, I eventualy managed to get these: at the 20k setting on my meter I got #1 @ 8.60, #2 8.65, #3 8.75, #4 9.17... but they all failed the ground test and the continuity test because of corrosion. They were always a variant of the stock plug anyway.

I have a lightly used set of the stock plugs on hand for smog testing. They passed continuity and ground tests and I got these resistance readings with relative ease when they were still a little dirty:
#1 8.75, #2 9.59, #3 9.80, #4 9.66

So, I cleaned them to shine and bare metal and gapped them to 1.0mm to 1.1mm.

Will see how they do on my errand with my kid tonight. I fully expect to get the P0420 again. But solving all this in the fuel/air systems seems important before I clean the CAT and see if I can regain acceptable emissions efficiencies.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.