View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #2196 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*As to 'advanced societies',I personally wouldn't use that term in connection with industrialized nations.
The definition of advance is to move forward. Time advances, or moves forward, and advanced societies (people) move forward along with time. If a society exists now, and others in the past do not, then we can consider it an advanced society, and the one no longer in existence to be non-advanced. Only time will tell if a society is advanced into the future. Industrialization is among the best descriptors of advanced societies, as most all of the hunter/gatherer societies have gone extinct. Given the option to retain a hunter/gatherer society, almost nobody chooses it.

Quote:
*If we're not replacing fossil fuels with renewables it's because we're not trying as a matter of policy.
We are replacing fossil fuels with renewables, and it is because of policy. The unfortunate thing is that policy is only necessary when the desired behavior cannot be achieved by free and natural means. The authority of the state then must infringe upon freedom with the threat of force and violence to achieve this unnatural behavior.

I'm not saying there is no place for laws and policy, only that it should be used as sparingly as possible. When in doubt, err on the side of freedom.

This shows renewables replacing fossil fuels for quite some time, with 2002 marking the beginning of huge growth.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-03-2018)