View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOTDI View Post
Das, it' be way more fun to pack/load the two little bikes and ride them! Reference a youtube vid i watched of a guy that rode his wr250 loaded with gear from Oklahoma all the way Deadhorse Alaska...and back!! The short vid series is called "Tiny Bike to Alaska". Check it out, you'll be encouraged!! My kids and i have watched all 8 or 9 of the vids in that series twice! The same guy has made several other trips on different bikes and makes vids of each trip. The Tiny bike is our fav for sure! GO FOR IT DAS!! GO FOR IT!! :{)
I was working friday and saturday, need to plan ahead for something like that anyways. Riding the little CBR and VFRs long distance is pretty brutal. The CBR 250R's handlebar positioning is actually just fine, and not very leaned over, the problem is the footpegs. They are pretty high up, and your knees are scrunched up which gets quite painful after only 100 miles or so without breaks.

Both VFR 400Rs are more leaned forward, and my 400 has even higher footpegs. If I was going to do a long highway trip like that on the CBR, I would want something like a 43T rear sprocket to drop those RPMs down. Crusing at 70 with its current 51T rear puts it at 8773 RPM, a 43T would drop it to 7397. My dad's VFR 400R has the stock gearing, putting it at 6980 RPM at 70. My VFR 400R with its taller rear tire and 5 teeth off the rear sprocket is at 6159. We would leave my 400 behind, as it isn't quite complete, and its less cool than the other bikes. When I first punched in the location I thought it was 1000 miles, but it is only around 650 miles, which we could probably do in one day, but that is still a lot of miles to put on those bikes.

I did ask my dad, and the Virginia ride will be a motorcycle group event(nothing big). There are a few more motorcycle events I will try to attend this year, pretty bummed I couldn't go to the smokey mountain crawl. Two wheels of Suches has some events that I could squeeze into, such as a "vintage and two stroke bike rally"(bring a mask!), and the "Blue Ridge 250 Rally". I'll try and plan ahead so I can make it to those. Plus there is the true grits 50cc rally, which would be a whole lot of fun to watch, and I could tape off the '2' in '250' and participate.

Edit: The Blue Ridge 250 Rally has nothing to do with 250cc bikes, its more of a touring/adventure ride. I would gladly ride a sport bike off road, just not the rare bikes. I'll wait for the SV650 for that.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 07-09-2018 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: 250 rally
The Following User Says Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (07-14-2018)