View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #96 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
Nice. I pretty much quit riding mine about ten years ago after 4000 miles. I will take it out once in a while just to make sure it still works. The grip shifters are shot and the rear derailler is falling apart, but the motor still runs just fine. I still use the batteries in my Dewalt 36 volt drill though. So those LifePo4 packs are now 12 years old and still relatively strong. One day I'll have to see how much charge they still hold.
JJ
It would be really interesting to see how the batteries are doing. Mine were being incorrectly charged it would seem. I had ordered 12s battery for my 43.5 volt charge, IIRC, and was apparently sent a 10s battery. This meant I was charging it for 4000 miles of riding without a balancing cycle. When my original 43.5 1amp charger was doing the charging I think the slowness did little or no damage because I was not discharging battery more than 1/3 or 1/2. But when that charger broke, I looked long and hard for a good quality 43.5 volt replacement. Got a 4amp one. Soon, I started seeing "fully charged" responses from the charger when the battery showed a little lower than normal. Then I started seeing radically lower "fully charged" voltages. And then even those voltages would not sustain themselves and I would find really significant voltage drop over night or a few days without a load on the battery.

I figured out that the battery was 10s and not the 12s I had ordered. I got a 42 volt 2amp charger and everything returned to normal for the last two or three hundred miles.

These batteries are durable!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.