View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Every time I see one of these k24 threads
I have to wonder if
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...fxe-27266.html

That would actually be cheaper and easier
Would need ecu, transmission, mounts, harness potentially halfshafts and wheel ends

But I bet even at that the cost of parts is a fraction, the power gains would be adequate to motivate the car in any terrain and I bet the work required would be no more, just different
Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends heavily on which K24 motor. The Accord's motor is extremely common, and can generally be found with low miles for <$500. It's only if you want one of the higher compression and horsepower variants that prices start to go up.

With the Insight, you can use off-the-shelf Honda parts from other Hondas, and it all basically bolts up. No welding, cutting or modifying.

There are off-the-shelf engine mounts available for the K series, which is not true for any other motors to drop into the car. To me this is a big plus.

The wiring harness is essentially 100% compatible, as is the signaling for most of the stuff in the cluster (depending on the year). Several companies make off the shelf adapters for the K series computers.

I'm willing to bet this swap can be done far more cheaply, I'm just insisting on a newer and more powerful engine.