View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #47 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Well I saw this thread and though it applied to me.

So I've sold my '72 VW Beetle and my '13 Nissan Leaf. I got $12,000 cash on hand now and am thinking of what car to get.

I need a car that gets good fuel mileage, is reliable, has A/C so I don't get divorced and doesn't break the bank.

I'm leaning towards a used Prius C. Although I have $12,000 in cash on hand which could be a down payment, seems like the recommendation is a car that's within about 1/3 of your yearly income. So that puts me at about a $10,000 car. But I also don't want to go through getting a car that suddenly needs everything replaced from poor maintenance and abuse from the previous owner. I've had that happen to me way too many times to want to do that again. So I think if I stick with a 3 to 5 year old car that's got less than 75,000 it can't be too neglected and abused. And since I'm driving some 30,000 miles per year, I want something reliable and fuel efficient.

So adding all that up and the wife factor and I come up with a used Prius C or maybe even a used Prius. But any other suggestions would be welcome.
Don't neglect looking at a Chevy Sonic with the 6 speed manual. Amazing little cars and no traction battery replacements ever. If I had the cash a 6 speed manual Sonic or Cruz would be parking the driveway this morning.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (07-12-2018)