View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #64 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
The battery box weighs next to nothing, and also presumably adds next to nothing. I was actually pleasantly surprised just how lightweight it was; the whole thing was probably less than 2lbs, and would blow away in a light gust.

I plan to leave the crossbar that runs across the spare tire well since it's bolted quite close to the wheel wells and feels very solid. Going to lay down some foam and then a board over it, and it won't be inconvenient to cut out a groove for it in the foam.

There's also a crossbar which runs just behind the seats, which I plan to take out. This might be controversial, as it may contribute to crash safety in a hard side impact. I drove without it bolted in for a few days and didn't notice any chassis flex at the bar though, so I don't think removing it will negatively impact handling.

EDIT: Dimensionally, the rear cargo area is 48" long, 40" wide at the rear, and 52" wide at the front. At the back, the floor is 24" below the glass. At the front, it's 32" below the glass, but the floor there is also ~2.5" higher.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-23-2018)