Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #484 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Now I don't get you. The links say nothing about performance nor design. They delve into construction, sophistication, efficiency and build cost.
Tesla makes its own parts (to have them significantly cheaper than 3rd party stuff), makes new cells that have a power to weight ratio unseen in other cars, extremely sophisticated electronics, etc.

In essence, Tesla had to steer away from conventional construction methods where it inhibits progress, something the run of the mill automakers have become blind for.
And of course, that causes hiccups. You don't get a 5 year lead over your rivals without a struggle.
The links roflwaffle provided deal with the battery and electronic controls. Those components are assembled in the Nevada gigafactory. The module is delivered to the assembly plant just like a part from any other supplier.
Consolidating the battery back and electronics controls into one module actually makes the assembly process easier not harder. So the links do nothing to explain why Tesla can't bolt together cars at the Fremont assembly plant without resorting to building a manual assembly line in the parking lot.

From roflwaffle's report (and my coworker's car) Tesla has raised the level of fit an finish to that of average economy car (like the Prius) that cost tens of thousands less than what Tesla is charging for a Model 3. They are not to the level of fit and finish that is expected in the luxury segment. A short time ago, Tesla was shipping cars to customers that simply should not have left the factory. When a company is willing to sell cars with visible defects it makes me wonder corners they are cutting on parts that the customer can't see.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-buyers/page-2

EDIT: What you don't seem to get is that I am focused on assembly process that takes place at the Fremont plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
In terms of quality, my feeling is that people are focusing on it because certain media outlets are focusing on it. I never thought about or looked at panel gaps and the like until the stories about them were shotgunned all over the news cycle, and when I did look at them it turns out my wife's 2014 Plug-in Prius, which we bought new in 2014, has worse issues with alignment and panel gap than the 3 I picked up in May has, and similar issues with the interior fit and finish.
The Tesla Model 3 doesn't compete in the same sector as the Prius. It competes with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. It is a $50K to $60K car not a $25K to $30K car. The standards for fit and finish are very different.

Quote:
Their product launch was certainly a failure compared to their own estimates, but at the same time I think they're currently delivering cars that meet and/or exceed the majority of industry standards.
Telsa doesn't come close to meeting industry quality standards. The quality on the Model S and Model X have been horrible. Their owners seem to tolerate the quality issues because Tesla is really good about fixing them and they like the product. That business model only works with very low volumes and when Tesla is the only company that sells a performance electric car. Both of those will change over the next few years as Model 3 volume ramps up and established automakers enter the market

Musk knows his quality is horrible. That is why he refuses to participate with companies that benchmark quality like JD Powers.

Quote:
provided of course someone's paycheck doesn't depend on their opinion
My paycheck isn't affected by Tesla. My company is doing great. Our car division is continuing a 5 year streak of monthly year over year sales increases. The truck division (which I work for) is book out into next year. (Tesla isn’t the only company with an order backlog)

Even if Tesla is successful in reaching their goal of 1 million cars per year they will still be a niche player in an industry that sells 81 million cars per year. Tesla has done a great job showing that there is a market for an electric car. It will be interesting to see if their demand holds up in the face of competition. I wish them luck.

Last edited by JSH; 07-23-2018 at 02:48 PM..