Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 03:35 AM   #489 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
There is nothing in Roflwaffle's post that points to anything about the Tesla that makes it more difficult to build than a Bolt or Leaf. Yes, the performance is in a different league but it bolts together the same. I think the design is great (I would change some of the controls) and the performance is great. The product launch has been a failure.

What do you think is unique about the Model 3 that justifies the production problems that Tesla is seeing?
I think these are all separate things. On one hand, Tesla's certainly had their fair share of production problems that in some cases they asked for.

There are also companies that are pretty close to Tesla in some aspects of tech/development. For instance, Renault and one other large auto manufacturer are also using INL's AEM. GM's Super Cruise is the best at lane keeping when it can be used, Toyota's damn good at power electronics, Volvo's good with safety, etc...

At the same time, there isn't any manufacturer I'm aware of that's overall close to Tesla. That'll change if the 3 does as well as I think/hope it'll do and everyone starts investing more in R&D and EVs, but for now Tesla's doing very well, especially for a Silicon valley company with little experience mass producing vehicles.