Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #490 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
I never said the 3's interior competed with a $25k to $30k car. It's current interior is IMO competitive with other luxury cars with similar acceleration, handling, size, and so on. At the same time, it's very spartan and unique. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. I wish my Prius had the 3's interior. Offhand, the only thing I would take from the Prius is the HUD + being able to black out the center display.
The control interface is a completely different issue. I agree some might like it. I personally hate it. (Touchscreens just aren't a good interface for cars in my opinion and gauges should be in front of the driver)

10 years ago I worked for Delphi supplying instrument panels to the Mercedes SUV plant in Alabama. The instrument panel in my co-workers Model 3 that was delivered in July would have been rejected for more than a half dozen reasons using 10 year old levels of fit and finish standards.

Quote:
I agree that the S and X have had issues with quality. From what I've read, the S and X have gotten better, with the S quality being substantially better. My wife and I have both test driven a Model S and rented an X for a few days. The 3's quality is substantially better than both, especially the X, although the X we rented was one of the first produced. The ride and NVH of the 3 in particular are second to none IMO, although the only luxury ICE I've driven was my wife's 2010 A3.
When I say quality I mean industry metrics like problems per 100 vehicles. It has nothing to do with driving experience.

Quote:
At the same time, there isn't any manufacturer I'm aware of that's overall close to Tesla. That'll change if the 3 does as well as I think/hope it'll do and everyone starts investing more in R&D and EVs, but for now Tesla's doing very well, especially for a Silicon valley company with little experience mass producing vehicles.
The investment is already being made. You will get long range EVs from major manufacturers in the next 1-2 years. The Jaguar was just release, and Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche will be following shortly. This will be Tesla's true test. Will their sales remain when a customer can buy a similar vehicle from established manufacturers like the ones listed above. Time will tell.

Your last sentence is the source of my frustration with Tesla. There is a huge body of knowledge on how to manufacture a car. Yes, it is difficult but dozens of companies do it on a daily basis. I know some people that have gone to work for Tesla and they are smart people that know their stuff. That is why it is so frustrating to see how badly Tesla did with the Model 3 launch.

Tesla's EV technology combined with a manufacture that knows how to build cars would be something to see.

Last edited by JSH; 07-24-2018 at 04:11 PM..