View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
replacing it with a 4S5P Li-ion pack, the size of a grown man's fist.
What is the Ah rating of your Li-ion pack? Do you know how many watts electrical consumption your car has at idle, with all the accessories turned off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
I have a bank of 6 capacitors 500F each. Do you think they would be enough to start a 2L car? I will be using a boost converter to feed it to implement Luno’s implementation.

Capacitors instead of lead battery. Capacitor charged by lithium batteries. So alt is virtually disabled.
Your capacitor bank in series should be plenty enough to start the vehicle. I was able to start my 2.2L Acura using 350F rated caps.

One thing is you might need a low ohm resistor in series between the caps and battery to limit the current going to or from the battery to within safe limits.

Not sure what you mean by boost converter.

Here's my poor quality video showing a quick experiment I did starting my car with supercaps, and a LiFePO4 battery with current limiting resistor.

I have my 5 Ah Li-ion battery now, so when I get some time I'll connect it to my Acura. I think my best bet would be to put my supercaps where the original battery was under the hood, and then run some 12 gauge wire into the cabin to connect the battery, which I might velcro somewhere near the footwell. This way I could alternate between batteries, charging one on a charger while running the other in the car. Who knows how many Ah I can get from the 5 Ah battery before it drops down to the point that the alternator runs? I'd be surprised to get half the rated capacity.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!