View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Ug may not be accurate, as you say the fuel pump is drawing more amps due to the higher voltage and increasing the pressure. Also the injectors are opening up faster due to the same reason.

Not sure If it has an effect on the maf sensor.
My Acura uses a MAP sensor rather than MAF. Not sure if that changes anything.

The alt is certainly variable. How exactly it behaves I don't know.

I do know the lead acid battery in my Acura is very weak and probably would barely start my car right now. Perfect time to experiment!

At any rate, I can at least measure the electrical load of my car and estimate the fuel consumption based on something like 50% alternator efficiency, or some other more accurate estimate.

Better yet, I can probably just run the standard battery but disconnect the alternator control harness so it freewheels and measure fuel consumption before and after with the UG.

Ultimately the fuel savings would begin to appear in my fuel logs, which haven't been kept up to date since my parents had been driving it the last year or so.

EDIT:
I found the 4 circuit SPST switch and a 4 pin wire harness I was going to use to switch on/off the control wires to my alternator- an alternator kill switch. Maybe I'll have to think about implementing this again in the TSX, though it defeats the purpose of the virtual alternator delete.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-03-2018 at 07:59 PM..